Tuesday 10 April 2012


Day 11



From this day forth, this day shall be known as Elli-Day. It was her birthday after all... so rather than the usual jazz of running through how the day went, which we will get to afterwards, let us kick off this show by praising and writing about my wife (when she sees this she might not be as happy as I am imagining it now!).

Elli, wife of mine, you are truly an exceptionally talented and smart woman. I say woman, because you are now 28, just two off of the dreaded 30! But believe me, it isn't as bad as they say it is. But first, let us enjoy this year, the year you turned 28. Why? Well because we will always remember that it was when you turned 28 that we moved to Singapore and that is solely down to your determination to move here. A mere 3 years ago, we traveled through Singapore and you loved it. At the time you said you wanted to move here and here we are. If it wasn't for you, it would not have happened.

Everyone who knows you, knows what a wonderful and generous person you are. There are so many more things that I and the rest of us could say about you, but sometimes words just aren't enough to express what I feel for you. I love you baby.

So after that soppy beginning, let's get to the action! Well I say action, but when you know where I started off the day, whilst the wife was working hard, it doesn't quite befit the word 'action'! So having written 3 entries for the blog and finally being up to date I decided it might well be a good idea to get my wife a present, since it was her birthday after all. So off I go to...

Wait for it...wait for it....

BOOM!!! Yep, Ikea...



So to IKEA I went for Elli's birthday present. How original I hear you say...ironically that is. But as it turns out Elli really did like her present. You see she will be moving into a new apartment at the end of the month and still needs to 'dress' the whole place. So knowing that we had a beautiful canvas in our home in Brussels, I thought it would be nice to get something similar for our new apartment.

The present: a nice big picture of Albert Bridge in London
Why you may ask did I get a bridge in London? Well firstly because it is a picture of Europe, something that is familiar to the wife. Secondly, her best friend lives in London, so always nice to be able to look at it and think of her and lastly, because it would look great in the new white apartment...

So having purchased the 15 kilo frame and picture I had to get it back to the apartment. Not an easy feat in 30 degree weather, having to take a bus, then the MRT, changing over and finally having to brave the rain...

It happens, but believe me you don't mind...it's quite refreshing

Having gotten the big frame home, I was due to meet Pauline, a delightful British woman who has been living here for 14 years across town. So off I went, still pouring down. I must say, it was really refreshing to hear some of her viewpoints about Singapore and the job market, which has given me hope of finding something here. It won't be easy, but with a little perseverance I will get there!

Next stop, finally picking up the rest of the suits that had been fixed for Elli, meaning I had to go to Orchard Road. On the way, I took the time to take a few snaps of a couple of pieces of art that are to be found on this shopping boulevard.

This is how the wife and I feel... joyful.


Suits picked up, it was time to head home. Before doing so, I naturally had to pick up a cake. It is the one at the top of this blog - still in the box because we only got home very late...when the baby is delivered you will get to see the picture...

So cake in the freezer and wife on the way we had agreed to meet up in the shopping centre just around the corner. It is called the Mustafa centre (it is actually two massive shops that are linked) and we were told it has everything. And when they meant everything, it truly was everything! It was like Aladdin's cave of wonders! From food to football shirts, from BBQ sets to jewellery, car parts and movies...it was madness and once again we found ourselves in a place that seemingly had no exit. Having braved the 5 floors we eventually found an exit and headed down the road for some food.

Since it was Elli's birthday, where else would we end up but a Japanese restaurant. It was a buffet and we made sure to stuff our bellies full of Japanese delights.


With Elli's belly full and satisfied, we didn't have the strength to do anything else and so headed home. We had bought a movie in the massive Mustafa centre and decided to finish off the evening lying in the bed and enjoying an easy-to-watch comedy... what a day! Birthday girl had a good time and was happy...

The movie...

And for the Francophones out there...check out the Asians...they too can be rude...PUTAIN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment